Tax season can be a trying time for military families between trying to collect all the right documents and figuring out the maze of tax laws while making sure everything is submitted on time. Fortunately, servicemembers and their families have many resources available to guide them through this process and help them complete their tax papers and file on time.
Here is a list of the resources available to servicemembers and their families:
Military OneSource Tax Services
- Military specific information related to tax requirements and deductions in order to maximize a refund.
- Tips and options on how to use a refund in order manage finances and any debts.
- Information on how to find the applicable IRS and state tax forms, definitions and regulations.
- Detailed information on additional tax services available to military families.
- Call 1-800-342-9647 or go online to speak to Military OneSource Tax Services.
- Financial counseling.
Installation military Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
This program provides free tax preparation, return filing, tax advice, and many more services related to tax assistance. VITA offices can be found by using the Armed Forces Legal Assistance Services Locator.
The Personal Financial Management (PFM) Program
The PFM program provides personal financial counselors (PFC) who can educate and counsel on a variety of topics including financial goals, retirement planning, banking, record keeping, and much more.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
In addition to general tax information and forms, the IRS provides a wealth of resources specific to the U.S. Armed Forces including available deductions, credits, tips, combat zone information, and how to file extensions for deployed servicemembers. Visit the military section of the IRS to learn more.
See this helpful video on tax resources for the military and their families.
|Top Military Tax Tips||Free Tax Filing Services for Troops, Families|
|Are my Post 911 GI Bill® Benefits taxable?||Military Spouse Act – Residency Relief (MSRRA)|
|Tax Resources for Military Servicemembers & Families||Military Tax Credits|