The 2018 Survivors’ Pension rates saw a 2% increase over 2017 and will be effective December 1st, 2017. The 2017 Survivors’ Pension rates saw a .3% increase over 2016.
2018 Survivors’ Pension Dates:
Effective Date: 12/01/2017
First Paycheck: 12/31/2017
2018 Standard Medicare Deduction: Actual amount will be determined by SSA based on individual income.
Improved Death Pension Rate Table – Surviving Spouse/Child(ren) – Alone or With the Other
|MAXIMUM ANNUAL PENSION RATE (MAPR) CATEGORY||AMOUNT|
|MAPR Without Dependent Child||$8,830|
|To be deducted, medical expenses must exceed 5% of MAPR or||$442|
|MAPR With One Dependent Child||$11,557|
|To be deducted, medical expenses must exceed 5% of MAPR or||$578|
|Housebound Without Dependents||$10,792|
|Housebound With One Dependent||$13,514|
|A&A Without Dependents||$14,113|
|A&A Without Dependents (SAW Veteran’s Surviving Spouse)||$14,685|
|A&A With One Dependent||$16,837|
|A&A With One Dependent (SAW Veteran’s Surviving Spouse)||$17,347|
|SBP/MIW Annuity Limitation||$8,830|
|Add for Each Additional Child||$2,250|
|MAPR FOR CHILD ALONE||$2,250|
|Child Earned Income Exclusion||effective 1/1/2000||$7,200|
|(38 CFR §3.272(j)(1))||effective 1/1/2001||$7,450|
Survivors’ Pension rate increases are determined by Cost-of-Living-Adjustments (Cola).
Survivors’ Pension rate tables are paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) including Housebound and Aid and Attendance supplements.
To calculate the 2019 Survivors’ Pension rate increase, if any, the average of the indices of July, August, and September 2018will be compared with the 2017 3rd quarter average.
- A & A – Aid & Attendance – Require the aid of another person to perform activities of daily living OR be blind or meet other specific visual acuity requirements OR be a patient in a nursing home because of physical and/or mental incapacity.
- Death Pension – Intended to supplement the income of a surviving spouse or child who is in need of financial assistance and provide a minimum level of financial security.
- Housebound – Qualifications: Single disability rated 100% and separate disabilities rated 60% or more (Veterans only) OR Permanently housebound due to disabilities per 38 CFR 3.351(d) OR Hartness v Nicholson (2006) when pension has been granted based on the veteran being age 65 or older.
- IVAP – Income for VA purposes
- MAPR – Maximum Annual Pension Rate – The MAPR is the maximum amount of pension payable to a veteran, surviving spouse or child. MAPR fluctuates based on individual circumstances related to number of dependents and if Housebound or Aid & Attendance qualifications. The MAPR is reduced for each dollar of income that the veteran, surviving spouse, child, or their families have.
- MBW – Mexican Border War
- MIW – Minimum Income Annuity
- SAW – Spanish-American War
- SBP – Survivor Benefit Plan
- SS – Veterans Surviving Spouse
- Survivors’ Pension – Tax-free monetary benefit payable to a low-income, un-remarried surviving spouse and/or unmarried child(ren) of a deceased Veteran with wartime service.