The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) Program By State
The MyCAA employment assistance program provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification or associate degree in a portable career field and occupation. Qualified spouses can search for in-demand skilled trades in their area or nationwide and find approved schools for their chosen field.
Click on each link to view MyCAA school’s in each state:
Licensing & Certification for Military Spouses
The MyCAA Scholarship pays tuition costs for eligible military spouses education and training courses and examinations leading to an associate degree or professional state certification or licensure.
- Medical professionals (e.g. nursing)
- Skilled trades (e.g. cosmetologist, photographer, make-up artist)
- Other occupations requiring recognized certifications (e.g. barber, aesthetician)
- Licensing exams and related prep courses
- Continuing Education Unit (CEU) classes
- Degree Programs leading to employment in Portable Career Fields
- High School Completion courses and GED tests
- English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
There are approximately 1 million military spouses:
- Active duty spouses: 624,000
- Selected Reserve/National Guard spouses: 372,000
Is the MyCAA program right for you?
The MyCAA program was designed to create more opportunities for military spouses by giving access to career fields and skilled trades with high employment potential and cohesion with the military lifestyle. Relocation can be challenging for the whole family. Finding employment and education options near base that are affordable is not easy. MyCAA is a good fit if you have career goals such as accounting, teaching, or construction management that you have postponed pursuing. MyCAA is also a good opportunity if working part-time makes sense for your family. Becoming a yoga instructor or translator is the perfect fit to bring in additional income. Click HERE to learn more about career paths, courses of study, and detailed eligibility requirements.
What tools are available to help me succeed with this program?
- How-to Support: Career Coaches and Employment Readiness staff are there beginning to end. They will help you register, fill out your Education Training Plan (ETP), and discuss your career field or skilled trade options. The MySECO Research Occupations Tool helps you search for in-demand careers in your area and nationwide.
- Financial Assistance: The MyCAA program does help off-set education costs, but there are additional resources available too! Spouses may be eligible for scholarships and/or additional government or private tuition assistance. Click HERE to learn more.
- Job Placement: The MyCAA program is employment-targeted education support. When you graduate with a certification or degree, there is also resume building help and assistance from the Employment Readiness staff. Additional job search tools such as the Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP), USAJOBS.gov, CareerOneStop.org, and Blue Star Families Blue Star Career Center are all free tools to help you succeed.