Will Tricare Cover My Breast Augmentation? The one thing that is consistent is that everybody has a friend of a friend who heard a military spouse at another base got breast implants for free. Unfortunately, there is no clear cut answer here so we will do our best to cut through the clutter and lay out the circumstances in which one might possibly get breast implants for free or at a military discount.
Circumstances it’s a possibility:
- Medically necessary e.g. severe chest and back pain, severe cosmetic deformities, cancer reconstruction, very small chest which causes body or self esteem issues (typically requires lengthy mental health evaluations where it’s determined you’re clinically depressed or similar determination).
- Doctor must complete a determined number of procedures to fulfill licensing and board certification requirements. * Case by case basis, varies by military hospital and very difficult to find these set of circumstances. Also, most likely the patient will have to pay for the implants but not the surgery.
- Military hospitals with doctors in training need patients to practice on. * Case by case basis, varies by military hospital and very difficult to find these set of circumstances. Also, most likely the patient will have to pay for the implants but not the surgery.
These are three circumstances we’ve uncovered where a military spouse can get free breast implants.
There are doctors in local areas that do offer military discounts to military spouses seeking breast augmentation surgery. Call the local offices and ask or try googling the terms below to find drs. This is a medical procedure and you’ll want to ensure you do your due diligence in finding the right doctor for you and not just based on a getting a military discount for breast implants.
“breast implants” “military discount” plus your geo location (e.g. city, county)
“breast augmentation” “military discount” plus your geo location (e.g. city, county)
The TRICARE website provides additional information on the set of circumstances in which one may qualify:
TRICARE covers cosmetic, reconstructive and plastic surgery to improve the physical appearance of a beneficiary only under the following circumstances:
- Correction of a birth defect
- Restoration of a body form following an accidental injury
- Revision of disfiguring and extensive scars resulting from neoplastic surgery (i.e., surgery that removes a tumor or cyst)
- Reconstructive breast surgery following a medically necessary mastectomy
- Reconstructive breast surgery due to a congenital anomaly (birth defect)
- Penile implants and testicular prostheses for conditions resulting from organic origins or for organic impotency
- Surgery to correct pectus excavatum
- Liposuction when medically necessary
- Panniculectomy (tummy tuck) performed in conjunction with an abdominal or pelvic surgery when medical review determines that the procedure significantly contributes to the safe and effective correction or improvement of bodily function.
To be covered, surgeries must be performed no later than December 31st of the year following the accidental injury or surgical trauma, except in the case of postmastectomy reconstructive breast surgery or cases involving children who may require a growth period.
TRICARE does not cover cosmetic, reconstructive or plastic surgery related to:
- Dental congenital anomalies
- Elective correction of minor skin blemishes and marks
- Breast augmentation
- Face lifts
- Reduction mammoplasties (breast reductions), except in the case of significant pain due to large breasts
- Blepharoplasty (removal of excess skin of the eyelid)
- Rhinoplasties (nose surgery)
- Chemical peeling for the treatment of facial wrinkles or acne scars
- Hair transplants
- Removal of tattoos
- Liposuction for body contouring