November is a busy month! In addition to holiday preparations, we have Veterans’ Day on Nov. 11th. As we think of all we have to be grateful for this month, we should take to the time to personally thank a Veteran for his or her service to our country. Additionally, November is Military Family Month, a subject certainly close to our hearts here at Military Benefits.
The Armed Services YMCA, original organizer of the Military Family Month, mailed Military Family Month packets to installations in mid October. If you have not received a packet of information to assist in celebrating this great month, you can download it at www.asymca.org. The packet contains: a Military Family Month Poster; a Message from President Obama; a letter from the National Executive Director of the ASYMCA; Military Family Month Program Suggestions; and Guidelines for the annual art and essay contests.
There are many services provided nation wide and locally to show appreciation during Military Family Month, here are just a few:
- Sesame Street for Military Families Free App – Addresses topics such as deployments, homecoming, self-expression and injuries.
- Sears Heroes provides gift cards for military families at Home Registry Sign ups. Signups usually happen in Late Fall.
The following are just a few ways to increase awareness and provide support to the military community:
- Donate a Thanksgiving gift to junior-enlisted members and their families through the USO-Metro’s Turkeys for Troops!
- Create a Spouse or Service Member Care Package with items that would help either ease stress during a deployment.
- Thank an Active-Duty Member, Veteran, Military Spouse, or Child for their service.
- Visit war memorials with your family to teach your children the value of service
- Fly the U.S. Flag.
- Make a donation or volunteer with a military assistance organization like the Armed Services YMCA.
As we acknowledge and appreciate our veterans of the past and present for their noble and brave service to our nation, we offer gratitude for their sacrifice and for the security and protection of our freedoms. In honor to their commitment to liberty and country, we celebrate America’s veterans on Veterans Day, November 11. We passionately support our veterans and invite the members of our community to donate their time and make contributions to local veteran service organizations like: Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), American Veterans (AMVETS), American Legion, Disabled American Veterans (DAV), and others.