Hardship Duty Pay (HDP-ROM), restriction of movement, is a newly-authorized pay that compensates service members who are not currently in a travel status $100 per day, not to exceed $1,500 per month who are ordered to self-isolate. HDP-ROM is intended to defray the cost of additional lodging and for the hardship associated with being ordered to self-monitor in isolation (i.e., restriction of movement) somewhere other than at their home or a government-funded lodging facility.
Hardship Duty Pay (HDP-ROM) Eligibility
- HDP-ROM is only payable in situations in which a service member remains assigned to the same permanent duty station.
- A service member’s commander (in conjunction with military or civilian health care providers) must determine that a service member is required to self-monitor and is ordered do so away from their existing residence, at a location not provided by or funded by the government.
- Upon returning from a DC THN Level 3 country a service member may receive HDP-ROM if a commander orders to self-isolate and no on-post government facilities (e.g. barracks, dorms) or government-funded lodging (e.g., government contract off-post hotel rooms) are available.
- Upon returning from deployment and a service member is ordered to restrict contact to a dependent due to exposure to COVID-19, they may receive HDP-ROM. However, only if no on-post government facilities (e.g. barracks, dorms) or government-funded lodging (e.g., government contract off-post hotel rooms) are available.
Hardship Duty Pay (HDP-ROM) Ineligibility
- A service member is NOT eligible for hardship duty pay when isolated while on official travel or Permanent Change of Station (PCS). For restriction of movement allowances payable while on travel or PCS, see Joint Travel Regulations (JTR).
- Hardship duty is NOT payable if a service member wants to self-isolate away from friends and family due to not feeling well. A service member’s commander must order the self-quarantine.
- A service member ordered to restrict movement for self-monitoring at their personal residence is NOT eligible for the allowance because they already receive Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for the residence.
Hardship duty pay is a taxable, lump sum payment for each day in self-monitoring or isolation. Receipts are not required to receive hardship duty.
|Hardship Duty Pay Locations||COVID-19 Allowance & Benefits Policy|
|Military Pay Dates||Stimulus Checks|
|Fix to Protect GI Bill Benefits Due To COVID-19||CARES Act|