Having prior military experience works to your benefit when looking for a job after your career in the military ends. In addition to the job skills acquired during your time in the military, many employers appreciate the discipline and values possessed by military veterans. While most companies will appreciate military experience, some companies go the extra mile in helping military members transition to civilian life, and provide veterans with lucrative career opportunities.
American Corporate Partners
American Corporate Partners (ACP) works to help military members transition to life. The companies that partner with this organization give preference to job candidates with military experience and also provide one-on-one mentoring opportunities to help military members as they advance in their new careers. Some of the companies that work with American Corporate Partners include:
- Lockheed Martin
- Northrop Grumman
- The Coca Cola Company
- The Home Depot
- JP Morgan Chase
- Johnson & Johnson
Other Top Military Employers
In addition to the companies who work with American Corporate Partners, many companies are known for the benefits and preference they give to employees with military experience. Many of these companies, such as defense companies, have jobs with descriptions that rely specifically on the experience gained during a veteran’s military service.
- Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc. offers consulting services related to defense and intelligence. Military members are given help transitioning to civilian life through a special Armed Forces forum.
- URS works to develop weapons systems, military equipment and other defense technology. Because the focus is on developing products for military use, the company relies on veterans to give valuable input and play a critical role in the development process.
- CSX Corporation is another employer known for being very military-friendly. Veterans employed by this railroad company can join their Military Affinity Group. It’s not surprising that 1 in 5 CSX employees have served in the military. CSX has been named as one of the top military employers by organizations such as the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars.
- BSNF Railway Co. has developed a special military staffing program and heavily recruits employees with previous military experience. Members of the National Guard and Reserves are provided with additional opportunities to make up the time and wages they lost, while away from the job for military related training.
Insurance and Financial Companies
- In addition to providing banking and insurance services for military families, USAA is friendly to employees with military experience. In fact, veterans and their spouses are given preference over other job candidates.
- Deloitte not only sponsors the Warrior Games, but they’ve also pledged to set a goal of doubling their veteran hiring numbers over the course of three years.
- AECOM provides services to more than 20 agencies of the U.S. federal government, including the Department of Defense, NASA, the Department of Energy, the Department of Homeland Security and intelligence agencies, and already employs over 9,000 veterans.
- Amazon actively seeks military veterans, strongly believing in their capacity be leaders who can “invent, think big, have a bias for action, and deliver results on behalf of their customers.”
- Merck & Co., a pharmaceuticals company, offers competitive pay for veterans, continuing base salary for six months after being discharged from the military to help veterans adjust. National Guard members and Reservists retain full benefits from the company while deployed.
- Johnson Controls, which works to develop systems and equipment for the building and automotive industries, offers a variety of programs for veterans. It also has policies in place to ensure job security of members of the Reserves or National Guard.
- Starbucks is proud to have its own Armed Forces Network (AFN), which is a community of Starbucks employees dedicated to supporting veterans, military partners, and transitioning military members and their families.