Columbia Southern University is recognized as one of the top schools for active-duty military members and veterans. Thousands of military men and women choose Columbia Southern University to earn a quality education while preserving our nation’s freedom. Superior service, flexible programs and exceptional value are the CSU promise.
In addition to being a member of the U.S. Army’s GoArmyEd® and the U.S. Air Force’s Air University Associate to Baccalaureate Cooperative program, CSU also provides the following benefits to military service members and veterans:
- Assistance with TA and VA Benefits
- A dedicated military support staff and career development counselors
- Math and Writing Assistance
- A specialized Office of Disability Services
Veterans & Active Duty Military Benefits
- All military men and women receive a waived application fee and those using Military Tuition Assistance also receive a waived library fee.
- The tuition rate for graduate courses per credit hour is $250 for all active-duty military members (not applicable for CSU students using a learning partner discount).
Credit for Military Training
- CSU allows transfer of credit hours for prior academic credits, training, and relevant professional licenses and certifications. Up to 75 percent of undergraduate courses and 50 percent of graduate courses may be transferred into your degree program.
Forever a Hero Scholarship
- Columbia Southern University salutes active-duty and military veterans and their contributions to our communities. CSU will award one Forever a Hero Scholarship annually to a military veteran.
- CSU is approved for Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits including:
- Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
- If you are using VA educational benefits, Veterans Flexible Enrollment provides courses that follow defined start and end dates but have more flexibility because of fewer submission deadlines.
- You have flexibility on when to study with a structured framework for weekly assignments, and know the exact end date of your course.
VA Flex Payment Plan
- Flexible payment plans are offered for VA students.
Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
- Tuition assistance is available to active-duty and active Guard/Reserve, and military and civilian personnel of the Army National Guard.
TA Top Up
- Individuals on active duty who are eligible for Chapters 30 (MGIB) and approved for TA are eligible for Top-up.
Military Spouses & Dependents Benefits
To help spouses attain more for themselves and their families, CSU offers various opportunities to use education to achieve their career goals.
- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MyCAA) is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses pursuing professional certifications and licensure or an associate degree in a portable career field and occupation.
Hero Behind the Hero Scholarship
- CSU awards four scholarships yearly to a spouse or child of a National Guard or active military man or woman or spouse or child of a public safety personnel.
Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferability
- Eligible military men and women may transfer 36 months or the portion of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to their spouses and children to help them reach their educational goals at CSU.
Tuition Discount/Waived Fees
- Spouses or children of veterans will receive the application fee waiver and a 10 percent tuition discount.
Armed Forces Branch Resources
Each branch of service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes and restrictions for Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA). Funds are transferred directly to the educational institution by the applicable branch of the military.
Additionally, active duty members may elect to use the MGIB “top-up” in addition to their service provided TA to cover courses when TA is almost exhausted.
- Air Force Tuition Assistance
- Air University Associate-to-Baccalaureate Cooperative (AU-ABC)
- Army Tuition Assistance
The following Branches of Service offer Tuition assistance:
- Navy Tuition Assistance
- Marines Tuition Assistance
- Coast Guard Tuition Assistance
- National Guard Tuition Assistance
- Reserve Tuition Assistance *
*The Coast Guard, Navy and Marine Corps do not currently offer TA to reservists