The 2021 Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates charts by grade, state and Military Housing Area (MHA) with and without dependents.
Note: On Sept. 24, the Department of Defense authorized a temporary increase to Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) stipends in 56 military housing areas through December 2021. Check the list here to see if you’re eligible to apply for the BAH increase.
See the latest update on the 2021 Basic Allowance for Housing rates.
2021 BAH Calculator
* Enter duty ZIP code, which BAH rates are based on.
** Click here for the Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) calculator.
About half of U.S. counties (about 1,500) and ZIP codes have little to no military population. While half the ZIP codes is significant, less than 2% of service members eligible for BAH reside in these counties. To account for these service members, there are about 30 County Cost Groups (CCGs) assigned, each with similar housing costs. Use the BAH Calculator to enter your ZIP code and determine your MHA, also known as CCG. The MHAs range from ZZ510 to ZZ890 in increments of 10.
Veterans, dependents, National Guard and Reserves can use the MHA Calculator to see estimated monthly payments. Active duty service members should use the BAH Calculator or tables to see estimated payments. Both BAH and MHA benefits are based on the same payment tables, but benefit amounts vary.
Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) Calculation Factors
BAH Rates are determined by three factors:
- Permanent Duty Station (ZIP code)
- Pay grade (not rank but may be the same)
- Dependency status ( with‐dependents and without‐dependents, not the number of dependents)
BAH compensation is determined by the cost of rental housing in local markets within the US.
BAH Changes Timeline
No changes to BAH are currently planned.
95% of service members’ housing costs are covered.
96% of service members’ housing costs are covered.
97% of service members’ housing costs are covered.
The FY 2016 NDAA authorized growth slow-down of BAH by 1% per year until 5% out-of-pocket is reached. The slow-down is phased in increments of 1% per year over four years. 98% of service members’ housing costs are covered. The actual implementation of out-of-pocket adjustment is computed based on a percentage of the national median cost so that the actual out-of-pocket dollar amount will be the same by grade and dependency status in every military housing area.
Authorized the monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates to be set at 99% (vs. 100%) of the median rental housing costs. 99% of housing costs are covered.
Housing allowance rates were increased enough so that median out-of-pocket “off-base” housing cost was completely eliminated for members by pay grade, location, and dependency status. The Military Services entered into numerous public-private ventures (PPVs) designed to eliminate inadequate government housing by leveraging private sector financing, expertise, and innovation to provide necessary housing faster and more efficiently than traditional Military Construction processes allowed.
Defense Department increases housing allowance rates to bring them in line with actual rental market housing costs across the country and to reduce out-of-pocket housing costs for military members. Prior to this initiative, allowances covered only about 80% of housing costs, leaving an out-of-pocket expense of up to 20%.