The 24th annual President’s Day is on Monday, February 20th, 2017. The observance of George Washington’s Birthday, February 22nd, 1732, is always the third Monday in February.
Washington’s Birthday or President’s Day?
The Federal holiday is officially recognized as Washington’s Birthday. The Federal government has never legally changed the holiday to President’s Day. However, where it gets complicated is at the state and local level as they do not need to abide by Federal holidays. 24 states recognize President’s Day only, 9 recognize Washington’s Birthday only and 9 states do not observe any form of these holidays.
Ultimately for many it’s how you want to honor this day. As a day for Washington’s birthday, plus Lincoln’s, or even all Presidents.
President’s Day Events Across the U.S.
- Mount Vernon – Celebrate Washington’s 285th Birthday with free admission to Mount Vernon.
- Mary Washington’s House – President’s Day at Mary Washington’s House, The Rising Sun Tavern & and The Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop.
- George Washington Birthday Parade and Weekend Festivities – The largest parade in the country celebrating the anniversary of the birth of the nation’s first president. This event takes place on Washington’s Birthday holiday, Monday, February 20th, from 1 to 3 p.m.
- George Washington Memorial – An educational program, and a gala dinner and concert.
- National Constitution Center – Admission is FREE on Presidents Day, February 20th.
- National Park Service – Feb. 20th, 2017 is a Free Entrance Day at all NPS sites that charge an entrance fee. What a great opportunity to see Yosemite or Yellowstone!
Military Activities and Events on President’s Day
- 21 Gun Salutes – Military personnel across the U.S. and overseas perform 21 gun salutes on President’s Day.
- Naturalization Ceremonies – Many military units use President’s Day as a time for service members to take their Oath of Citizenship.
- Great Aloha Run – This is a President’s Day run that takes place in Hawaii, and raises money for various Hawaii based charitable organizations. Military units as far as Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan have participated from afar, to raise money as well.
2017 Presidential Library Events
- Herbert Hoover Library
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Library
- Harry S. Truman Library
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Library – No event currently scheduled.
- John F. Kennedy Library
- Lyndon B. Johnson Library
- Richard Nixon Library – No event currently scheduled.
- Gerald R. Ford Library – No event currently scheduled.
- Jimmy Carter Library – No event currently scheduled.
- Ronald Reagan Library
- George H. W. Bush Library
- William J. Clinton Library – No event currently scheduled.
- George W. Bush Library – No event currently scheduled.