Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 (over 2 years) of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are continuing their education by pursuing a license, certification, or Associates degree in a portable career field and occupation.

About MyCAA

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program (MyCAA) is a career development and employment assistance program sponsored by the Department of Defense’s (DoD) Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program. MyCAA helps military spouses pursue licenses, certificates, certifications, or Associates Degree (excluding Associates Degrees in General Studies, Liberal Arts, and Interdisciplinary Studies that do not have a concentration) necessary for gainful employment in high demand, high growth, Portable Career Fields and Occupations.

What else does MyCAA Offer?

  • Training and Education Financial Assistance – MyCAA provides a maximum education benefit of up to $4,000 with an annual fiscal year cap of $2,000 to assist eligible military spouses in acquiring a professional credential needed to meet their Portable Career goal. Annual cap waivers are available if there is an upfront tuition cost that exceeds $2,000 (up to the maximum education benefit of $4,000).
  • Employment Readiness Counseling – Counseling services are provided to all military spouses married to active duty service members of all ranks, regardless of their eligibility to receive MyCAA financial assistance and their desire to pursue higher levels of education. Counseling services help military spouses identify additional sources of federal, state, and local financial assistance, expanded career choices and opportunities, and necessary support resources (e.g., child care, transportation, books, computers, equipment, supplies, etc.).
  • Employment Assistance and Career Services – Referrals are made to networks of military friendly employers for MyCAA spouse participants who have completed their programs of study using MyCAA funding and who are ready to seek gainful employment.

Who is eligible?

Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserve Components in these same pay grades.

Are currently employed military spouses eligible?


How do military spouses know if a school is participating?

See our MyCAA list by state.

Do spouses have to select a school that is participating?

No, but it can take up to 60 days for approval, and it is recommended to find a school that is participating.  The school and only the school can apply for the MyCAA program.  Spouses can encourage the schools to apply and even provide them the link to the application.  These schools have an incentive to do so if it’s a difference between a military spouse attending the school or not.  The easier path, however, is to choose a school that is already participating.

What are the approved career fields and occupations?

  • Aerospace
  • Animal Services
  • Automotive Services & Transportation
  • Business, Finance & Administration
  • Construction
  • Education
  • Energy
  • Health & Human Services
  • Homeland Security
  • Hospitality
  • Information Technology
  • Legal
  • Skilled Trades
    • Aesthetician or Skin Care Specialist
    • Barber
    • Colorist
    • Cosmetologist
    • Designer
    • Gemologist
    • Journalist
    • Make-up Artist (Theatrical & Performance)
    • Mortuary Science
    • Musical Instrument Repair
    • Nail Technician
    • Photographer
    • Sales Manager
    • Translator/Interpreter
    • Writer/Editor

Where can I get more information?

Contact a Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) Consultant at 1.800.342.9647.


I was told since my husband is 100% retired and disabled that I could get this program to pay for my school or receive money. I just went to school to become a CNA. I paid for it out of pocket. Could I be reimbursed or receive money to continue my education? I was told I could get up to $2,000.00 the first year, and another the second . They said it was only for one time.

You may be eligible for education benefits if your husband is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability that arose from active duty service in the Armed Service. You’ll need to complete the Application for Survivors’ and Dependents Educational Assistance Form, VA form 22-5490, and send it to the VA regional office in your area. Also, since you have already started training ask the school you’re attending to complete VA Form 22-1999 and send both to Veterans Affairs.

I don’t believe my school is on the list for MyCAA. How would I go about receiving this money for the school? As it states above that it is possible but just takes longer.  School name: National College of Technicial Instruction – in Roseville, CA.

Schools must participate in the MyCAA program in order to qualify for aid. Spouses can and are encouraged to have their schools apply but ultimately only the school can complete this process. It also takes up to 60 days to complete the process. Lastly, MyCAA will not pay or refund tuition costs for courses you’re already enrolled in. If this school is the best fit for you, try speaking with the school and even give them the link to the MyCAA “Come on Board” program to get them to apply.

Related Articles
Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) MyCAA Approved Schools By State
Military Friendly Membership Lists for Colleges Military Friendly Colleges Guide
Related Articles
Military Spouse Education Benefits Great Degree Options for Military Spouses
10 Tips for Military Spouses Going Back to School Military Spouse Job Assistance & Education Resources
Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) MyCAA Approved Schools By State
Work From Home Jobs for Military Spouses Military Friendly Colleges Guide