Military Family Month was established in 1996 by the Armed Services YMCA, with the U.S. Government recognizing the occasion every year since. Each November, the President signs a proclamation declaring November Military Family Month and with hundreds of thousands of service members deployed overseas, recognizing the daily sacrifices made by military families has never been more important.
Excerpt from Presidential Proclamation:
“NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim November 2015 as Military Family Month. I encourage all Americans to honor military families through private actions and public service for the tremendous contributions they make in support of our service members and our Nation.”
Read the full proclamation here.
Reach out to your local MWR or Family Services offices to discover events and services scheduled in your area.
There are many services provided nation wide and locally to show appreciation during Military Family Month, here are just a few:
- Download The Armed Services YMCA Military Family month packet at www.asymca.org. The packet contains: a Military Family Month Poster; a Message from President Obama; a letter from the National Executive Director of the ASYMCA; Military Family Month Program Suggestions; and Guidelines for the annual art and essay contests.
- Sesame Street for Military Families Free App – Addresses topics such as deployments, homecoming, self-expression and injuries.
- MyMilitaryLife App – MyMilitaryLife is a app created by the National Military Family Association to help military spouses navigate the many adventures of military life.
- Military children can find comfort in a free custom made photo transfer quilt or pillow through this program for children of deployed service members – Operation Kid Comfort.
- Many Military Families are eligible for a free YMCA or Private Fitness membership through the YMCA- DoD Initiative with the Armed Services YMCA.
- Sears Heroes provides gift cards for military families at Home Registry Sign ups. Signups usually happen in Late Fall- Sears Heroes.
The following are just a few ways to increase awareness and provide support to the military community:
- Donate a Thanksgiving gift to junior-enlisted members and their families through the USO-Metro’s Turkeys for Troops!
- Create a Spouse or Service Member Care Package with items that would help either ease stress during a deployment.
- Adopt-a-Soldier for the Holidays
- Create a spouse care package for them to enjoy and help reduce stress with
trainings, deployments and relocations.
- Thank an Active-Duty Member, Veteran, Military Spouse, or Military Child for their service.
- Visit war memorials with your family to teach your children the value of service
- Fly the U.S. Flag.
- Adopt a military family for the holidays by sponsoring a Food Basket or Toys for junior enlisted military families through the ASYMCA’s Operation Holiday Joy.
- Offer a military neighbor a bit a respite with volunteer childcare to get errands accomplished or to even enjoy a few hours to recharge.
- See someone in uniform? Thank them for their service or surprise them with a free coffee, dessert or drink if they are in line behind you.
- Make a donation or volunteer with a military assistance organization like the Armed Services YMCA (www.asymca.org).
As we acknowledge and appreciate our veterans of the past and present for their noble and brave service to our nation, we offer gratitude for their sacrifice and for the security and protection of our freedoms. In honor to their commitment to liberty and country, we celebrate America’s veterans on Veterans Day, November 11. We passionately support our veterans and invite the members of our community to donate their time and make contributions to local veteran service organizations like: Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), American Veterans (AMVETS), American Legion, Disabled American Veterans (DAV), and others. Visit http://www.va.gov/vso/ for a list of veteran service organizations (VSO) in need of your support.